Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fear and Glory

Fear. Its something we all face. Fear of tomorrow, fear of loss, fear for our children, fear for lives, and fear of our past. We all have fear. Some fear is good. It keeps us from putting ourselves in danger for stupid reasons. It keeps our children in line until they understand consequences. It even keeps criminals at bay, but not all fear is healthy. Fear also keeps us from trusting, from loving, from giving. We won’t give the bum on the street money because he may buy liquor. We won’t share the gospel because they may laugh at us. We won’t love one another because they might not love us back.
Fear is a very powerful tool in the hands of the enemy. Satan is a master at using fear. He whispers in our ear all those nasty “what ifs?” He tempts us to lie to avoid difficulties. He tells us they won’t understand so we never admit the truth.
One of his most powerful uses of fear is the fear of our past. As Christians our past has been obliterated the sin and guilt washed away, but the memories and lessons learned remain. Still our past if a great weapon in the enemy’s arsenal. He constantly reminds of what we used to be. The victories are forgotten as the struggle continues. He can convince us to change everything about ourselves so that we don’t let one person know the truth.
Ladies and gentlemen here is the truth. I am a dirty rotten sinner that deserves the pits of Hell, yet Christ suffered, died, and rose again to forgive me of those sins. Here is the kicker; you’re a filthy sinner in need of a savior too.
I battle with fear of my past everyday, but I will no longer let my representation of the glory of God be diminished because of it. Let’s face it we are all disgusting and we beat ourselves up constantly over that, but in Christ we have been set free.
I have found that the greatest weapon against fear is hope. Hope is what Jonathan took with him to face hundreds of Palestinians alone. Hope is what made the blind man and leper come to Jesus. Hope is that idea we have before faith. We aren’t yet ready say I know, but we can say maybe. Maybe we can do it. Maybe we will survive. Maybe they will understand.
What is our hope? Our hope is Christ. Our hope is heaven. Our hope is knowing that God has set into motion his plan, his will, and he does all things to work for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28) .

Acts 2
25David said about him:
" 'I saw the Lord always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
26Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will live in hope,
27because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
28You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.'

Roman 5
5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Let this be our weapon ladies and gentlemen as we stand firm against the enemy’s attacks. Never let come between you and the glory of God.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

Refrain

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain

No comments: