Monday, October 27, 2008

An Open Letter to All Christians

I wrote this letter in response to something that happened at my church, but after finishing it I thought it would be good to post more publicly.

Dear family,

I'm trying to guard myself on politics this year as I have a tendency to go overboard, but I feel I must say something.

There have been several attacks on Barack Obama's faith made public on this list. I do not think this talk is helpful to any one or to the campaign. Personally, I highly doubt that either he, Joe Biden, or John McCain have any real relationship to Christ, though they all probably think they do.

So what are we to do about it? Well may I strongly encourage all of us to study 2 Timothy 2:1-4 and Titus 3:1-2. And hold fast to 2 Chronicles 7:14.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(1Ti 2:1-4)

Oh how guilty I am in this arena. So quick to judge and yet so slow to pray. Are our hearts in line with God? Are we praying and interceding for those in high positions? Do we desire men to come to Christ even those we disagree with? How much greater is our God to change the hearts of sinful men and how much more effective in bringing about godly leaders. Pray, pray, pray for each candidate. Pray so much more than you fight for it is such a greater blessing and of such great benefit.

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.
(Tit 3:1-2)

Are we being gentle? Are we being showing perfect courtesy? In our political battles are we yet ready for every good work? I must admit that I am not able to let both "curses and praises flow" from my mouth. I cannot constantly speak rumors and gossip of someone and yet submit to their rule.

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
(2Ch 7:14)

We are people called by His name. The greatest name in all existence. A name that has given us great power to be humble. What a mighty promise God gave Israel. And what a greater promise for those that have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them can cling.

With just a few days left in this election I close with this. "Seek His face." Stand in the beauty of His presence and seek Him. bow before His throne and pray for all our leaders. Pray not only that they would lead righteously, but that they come to know the one who died on a cross for the sins of His people. Pray that those who have been called by Christ would continue to grow in wisdom and knowledge of Chirst.

Campaign on truth and facts, but do more importantly pray. Pray that we would be humble servants, speaking evil of no one, prayer warriors for our leadership, servants of Christ, and ambassadors to a lost and dying world.

In Christ,

Jason Vaughn, a lowly servant undeserving of the grace bestowed.

No comments: