Monday, February 22, 2010

The Failure of the Pro-Life Movement

This is probably going to be one of those notes that get me in trouble. At least that might mean it got you thinking. Either way please comment. I'm keeping it short so you can read it all quickly and we can discuss in the comments.

I'm at the point in life where a lot of my friends are getting married (sadly, so far that does not include me). With marriage of course comes children or at least the discussion of children.

I realized my life is really changing last week when a couple other men and I went out with one's baby girl. Seriously had "Three Men and a Baby" flashbacks.

I go to a very family oriented church. There are several families with 4-8 kids and personally I love it. The "full quiver" is truly awesome for those God blesses in that manner.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
(Psa 127:4-5)

Many in these families look forward to marriage for their children and pray for pregnancy even on the honeymoon. This happens to have happened twice in the last year with a very "Loving" family.

Others though that have recently gotten married or are looking to get married hold a complete opposite view. They plan on waiting a year or more before they begin having children. They have a variety of reasons for this decision. Some desire to do so for financial reasons. Others want to do so because they desire time to get to know their spouse in a more intimate manner before becoming parents. I'm sure others come up with a variety of reasons.

Now I love my dear friends and won't say there are not reasons to wait to have a child I fear that for many the challenge is really how they view children. Our society has become hostile to children in many ways. Whether it be that they believe the world over populated or simply because of the responsibility of children.

Many people who would loudly proclaim abortion as murder still have a mentality that views children as a burden.

This is the area where I think the pro-life movement has failed. For the first time in recent history the majority (52%) view abortion as murder, but at the same time many still view children as a nuisance.

As much as it burdens me to say this I fear many pro-lifers see children as President Obama who claims that should his daughters have sex he doesn't want them "punished" with a baby.

The truth is for some that they view children as an inability to live life on their terms. It means they might be able to go out every night or buy what they want to buy. It means they can't remain adolescent little boys.

And that is true. But that is not a punishment. It is indeed a GLORIOUS opportunity. You see when you become a father you have the great privilege of understanding God as a Father. You see the role He has in our lives. You see what a great sacrifice it was for Him to send His only begotten Son.

Fatherhood is another reflection of the character and nature of God. Yes, you may indeed give up much, but consider instead what you gain.

My goal is not to convince you to pray as some do for pregnancy on a honeymoon. Nor is it to say that godly families will have many kids.

Truthfully, I pray God will bless me and my future wife with a couple of our own and graciously allow us to adopt several orphans into our family (as He so graciously adopted me into His).

My goal instead is to encourage you to consider how you view children completely. Do you see them as a blessing of God to be longed for and understanding that any gift He gives He will also provide a way to be cared for, or do you see them as something that crushes your freedom, style, and finances?

I have many plans and prays for my life, but whether it be in the case of children or anything else let us cry out "Lord, your will be done." Trusting Him in all manners especially His great gift of children.

No comments: