Monday, October 24, 2005

One Question

It is amazing how one question can change your life. For Peter it was “Who do you say I am?” For couples it is “Will you take this person as your lawfully wedded spouse?” For parents it is “Is the baby healthy?”
I received such a question last night. I knew it was coming, the person had been hinting at it for a while. Then they finally asked. Even though I knew and expected it didn’t make it easier. I considered lying but I couldn’t. I’m proud of myself for being honest, but then it began to sink in that I had actually been asked. I have never felt so alone as I did in that moment in time. I was in a room full of people and there was not a single person I could even talk to. Then my heart started racing. I couldn’t figure out the emotion because I had never felt anything so intense. Then I realized what it was: fear. I was in pure and udder dread. I had lost complete control of everything I am. It was as if a layer of skin had been ripped from my body.
I was lucky though. I had a friend that I was talking to that would understand. I’m not just speaking of Christ, but I had been lucky enough to have been given someone to go to. In the midst of pure dread I felt more thanks than I have ever known. At that moment I was as thankful for this friend as I was for salvation. God had used him for my bodily salvation at the time. I can’t imagine what I would have done without him.

One question. One answer. Then one hope. Christ.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Jason Vaughn

No comments: