Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A place of arrogance and pride

God has recently been revealing to me places in my life that I am prideful and take a sinful joy in thinking that I have personally accomplished anything.

One of those places is in my knowledge of Scripture. God has revealed to me that I have considered myself wise in my own eyes in this matter. Whether it be because of personal study or I have studied the Scripture in college I have taken pride in such things.

The truth of the matter is I know nothing of the Scriptures compared to so many others. Before I moved to St. Louis it was easy to think highly of myself as others came to me for advice and council concerning the Scripture. Even at North Greenville I think there was a part of me that boasted in knowing the truth of election.

At best though (and I in no way was I the smartest person around back then) I was king of fools. It is not hard seem wise when so surrounded by so many that are blind.

I was as a toddler lording my age and elderly wisdom over a new born babe.

God is showing me how truly ignorant I still am to His Word.

He has done this in two ways.

1. He has placed me among others much wiser and humbler than myself. Now I still seem as though a toddler, but in a land of giants. God has placed me among men that love the Lord and His Word. I am so grateful for their great knowledge. So to Scott, Aaron, Johnny, Brady, Tren, Bob, Will, Kurt, John, Billy, and so many others at Rockport I thank you and praise God for placing you in my life.

2. Most importantly God has continued to teach me that all I know is by His grace alone. Not only is it my His grace that I came to know Christ in salvation, but it is by His grace that I continue to grow in knowledge.

There are two responses that I am prone to since God has revealed this pride.

The first is a response of my flesh. In my sin I have a desire to "catch up" by studying more and learning more not for the knowledge, but for resemblance of power I have associated with the knowledge. Along with this I am tempted to put on a show and at least seem that I know more than I do.

The second response is one I make by God's grace alone. This response requires I thank God for the knowledge He has given me. I praise Him for placing me among men that can teach me. I continue to study His Word simply to grow closer to Him, to know Him and to love Him.

By God's grace I will follow the second response. May God continue to reveal my sin and more importantly His grace in my my life. May I boast in Him alone.

For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you! For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.
(1Co 4:7-13)

BTW, 3 years later I finally hit post 50 on this blog!

No comments: