Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sovereign Depression

2Co 4:8-12 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; (9) persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; (10) always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. (11) For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. (12) So death is at work in us, but life in you.


From time to time I suffer from depression. It is not just that I'm sad, but its as though a deep emptiness or darkness just comes over me and I cannot fight it off.

I pray and read and worship and it still refuses to lift.

I sit in the dark at times just sobbing and sometimes I can't even figure out why. Its similar to being in a crowed room and yet being all alone. It can hit without warning or reason.

I am thankful that in this suffering their is one constant. God.

I've heard people say that Christians do not get depressed, but I believe that this depression comes from God.

I serve a sovereign LORD who not only creates, but controls all things.

That is my one constant beam of hope in this darkness.

It is what allows me to continue to worship. For every trial and sickness brought upon me is from the LORD and in that the depths of my heart rejoice.

No comments: